What we’ll do
In this 4-hour experience, Paul Merry teaches you about quality white dough-making, and how to make and bake different classic shapes including a Tin, Cob, Stick, Plait, and more!
In a matter of hours, you will make bread with an unforgettable crust, flavour, and aroma – just the thing you would want to share with your family and friends.
What you learn
- How to make good dough, recognising properly developed gluten
- The importance of temperature coupled with the right amount of yeast
- Hand skills for handling and shaping dough
- Judgement of proof, and correct baking
- and lots more
What I’ll provide
- Ingredients and equipment – from bowls to bannetons, we’ve got you covered
- Lots of time to practice making, shaping, baking (and eating!) bread
- Refreshments on arrival (tea, coffee, spring water, and a fine range of infusions)
- Notes emailed prior to course
What should I bring?
- Apron (PANARY aprons available on the day from our shop)
- A VERY large box to take all your bakes home
Where we’ll be
We’ll be on the grounds of a traditional water mill near Shaftesbury, Dorset. It is one of the most tranquil places you could wish to learn about real bread. The course will be run in a working bakery.
What else can I do in the area?
While you’re in the area, you may also like to visit Gold Hill, from the old Hovis TV ad, and the many National Trust properties in Dorset and Wiltshire.
Families, groups and team building
These courses are perfect for families, special occasions (let us know the occasion beforehand and we will help make it the perfect day), team development.
Contact Paul today for more information.