What we’ll do
In this 4-hour experience, Paul Merry teaches you about two different doughs. The Malt Star dough is known as “granary”, which is popular throughout the British Isles. With the white dough, you will make the English classic known as the “cottage loaf”, where a ball is placed atop a round base.
In a matter of hours, you will make bread with an unforgettable crust, flavour, and aroma – just the thing you would want to share with your family and friends.
What you learn
- How to make good dough, recognising properly developed gluten
- The importance of temperature coupled with the right amount of yeast
- Hand skills for handling and shaping dough
- Judgement of proof, and correct baking
- and lots more
What PANARY provides
- Ingredients and equipment – from bowls to bannetons, we’ve got you covered
- Refreshments on arrival (tea, coffee, spring water) and a light snack
- Notes emailed prior to course
What should I bring?
- Apron (PANARY aprons can be purchased on the day from our shop)
- A large box to take all your bakes home
Where we’ll be
PANARY bakery is in the courtyard of a traditional water mill – Cann Mills – near Shaftesbury, Dorset. It is one of the most tranquil places you could wish to learn about real bread. The course will be run in a working bakery.
What else can I do in the area?
Visit Gold Hill, the ancient cobbled street in Shaftesbury, (site of the old Hovis TV ad); Salisbury cathedral; and many National Trust properties in Dorset and Wiltshire.
Families, groups and team building
These courses are perfect for families, special occasions (let us know the occasion beforehand and we will help make it the perfect day), team development.
Contact Paul today for more information.