This 6-day Residential course commences after 2 p.m. Sat 7th, finishes at lunch on Fri 13th November
A tempting summary!
- Bread baking tuition occurs on six of the seven days we are in residence (although the closing day, Friday is a half-day)
- 6 nights’ accommodation, from arrival Saturday until Thursday as last night
- 6 night’s accommodation
- Meals included, except for two evening dinners we take elsewhere
- £1,075 per course participant
- £550 per non-participant
- £200 deposit per person required to secure places
- No singles supplement
- Wood-fired Oven – No
I have teamed up with former bread baking PANARY students, Tara and Nigel Jones, who escaped with their family from their hectic London life to a calmer routine in Devon by buying a property with 19 acres of gardens and pasture, and a range of fascinating out-buildings. It is a Regency mansion called Ashley Court, the original Georgian home completed in 1805, and of great fascination is that this huge house has many original features, having only undergone minor renovations in Edwardian times.
Nigel and Tara have been gradually turning it into a yoga centre, where both yoga classes and the training of yoga teachers will occur. Full of bedrooms and large public rooms the house will also be providing yoga retreats for up to a dozen people at a time. Having got the feel of these residential retreats, Tara and Nigel approached PANARY with a view to offering a residential bread course. We are offering residential baking courses every autumn and spring.
Non-participant spouses/partners are welcome, and the maximum number for a PANARY event will be 8. Four intensive baking days will be enjoyed, with the day in the middle, the Tuesday, regarded as a free day, enabling students to make excursions into the surrounding Devon countryside, the coast, or a moor, either Dartmoor or Exmoor are within easy range. Exeter is a short drive away, and on the outskirts of nearby Tiverton, there is Knightshays Court, a fine National Trust property. Some participants may prefer to relax at Ashley Court to enjoy their day off. For anybody interested, a complimentary yoga class is offered by Nigel on Tuesday morning.
The course structure will feature a different theme each day, enabling many different types and styles of bread to be undertaken, along with their widely different techniques. The flour will be mainly the healthy stoneground bread flours from Cann Mills, but strong white roller milled flour will also be on hand. We shall make savoury and sweet, light and dark, and sourdoughs too. Requests will be taken on the first day, giving the opportunity for students to shape their own programme.
Bread baking themes
- quicker breads made with darker flour
- working with sponges and making slow breads
- sourdough and managing leavens
- breads of Britain, France, Italy, and Nordic countries
- festive breads and Christmas baking (November course)
- flatbreads and pizza
- yeasted pastries – croissants, Danish, brioche
Work will move between two different kitchens. There is the original large Regency kitchen, still featuring its original carpentered cupboards and dressers, and there is a newer back kitchen for teaching sessions with a more modern and powerful oven.
Ashley Court is on the A361 between Exeter and Tiverton and is very close to Tiverton. Its postcode is EX16 5PD.
- Train – Very easy to get here on the train. About 2 hours from London Paddington if you get the right train – Tiverton Parkway is 15 minutes drive from the house. Exeter is a bit further – about 25 minutes – buses run quite regularly from Exeter to Tiverton.
- Car – M5 junction 27 is 15 minutes from the house.
- Bus – Mega bus and National Express both run to Tiverton – very cheap, but very long.
The basic rate of £1,075 per person is for one of the 5 standard rooms with shared bathroom. We think this is particularly good value for a high standard of accommodation with four days’ tuition. The standard deposit is £200 per person.
There is one luxury double room with ensuite shower room that costs £1,225, deposit £200
What you get for the course fee:
- 5- day bread making course
- 6 nights’ accommodation
- All meals (except for two evenings: the occasion of the free day, and one
dinner in a local restaurant when the course has its one night out.
- A non-participating member of a couple pays £550 for accommodation and
NB. The course fee does not include travel.
About the Accommodation
- All bedrooms have a washbasin and each has its own charm, style and facilities.
- All residents will have their own room, with most sharing a bathroom.
- Vegetarian meals are a feature at Ashley court, taken in the beautiful dining room.
- Wine will be provided at the evening meal.
- Course residents have a cosy sitting room at the front of the house.
- When relaxing, or on our day off, Ashley Court will be a wonderful place at which to stay
The Georgian and Regency aspects of the house are fascinating. In most rooms, there are original floors, fireplaces, plasterwork, and windows. Downstairs in the main kitchen and scullery, we can use original features like stone sinks and a water pump. Near the house is a three-quarter acre walled garden flanked by three greenhouses undergoing renovation. There are fascinating out-buildings and the stable yard features a root store and apple loft. The nearby woodland walk takes a path that overlooks the Exe river.
How To Book
Please use the website calendar to make a provisional booking, a process that involves completing a booking form and sending a deposit of £200 to secure the booking. The balance is payable at a designated date that is 2 months before the course date. On that designated date PANARY sends confirmation of your place on the course, notice of the allocation of rooms, and the request that you make the full payment.
At that date, those who withdraw will have their deposit returned immediately unless they wish to transfer that deposit to the next available course.
Late cancellation will incur a penalty fee as follows
- Cancellation between 3 and 2 months from the course date, forfeiture of 30% of course fee;
- Cancellation within 2 months of the course date, forfeiture of 50% of course fee.
PANARY reserves the right to make a late cancellation of a scheduled course in exceptional circumstances; postponement to a new date will be announced, or prompt return of all money paid if requested.
6 day bread baking course, Devon
This 6-day Residential course commences after 2 p.m. Sat 7th, finishes at lunch on Fri 13th November A tempting summary! Bread baking tuition occurs on six
Event Type: Event
Venue Name: Ashley Court
Venue URL: https://www.historichouses.org/houses/house-listing/ashley-court.html
Address: Ashley Court, Tiverton., Devon, EX16 5PD, United Kingdom
Performer Name: Paul Merry
Performer URL: https://www.panary.co.uk/about/
Event Status: EventScheduled
Start Date: 2019-11-09 09:00
End Date: 2019-11-14 17:00
Ticket URL: https://www.panary.co.uk/craft-baking-courses/5-day-devon-residential-course/
Entry Price: 1075
Stock Inventory: 8